Based in Washington DC with her husband Solanah has a penchant for cats, hats and period murder mystery’s and an incredible eye for creating striking outfits topped with the perfect accessories, hairstyles and makeup. With her eye catching ( currently ) pink hair Solanah style has firmly cemented her as one of the vintage scenes top vintage bloggers. You can visit her blog here.
1. What or who inspired your love of vintage?
I grew up with it somewhat, as my aunt and sister-in-law wore it when I was little. It was just normal for me, so it was a natural style for me to adopt.
2. Can you describe your personal style and is there any particular period influencing your choices at the moment?
I love the 1940s, the casual look is especially influential. I find images of female workers during WWII inspiring for style, as their clothing was practical and, I think, beautiful.
3. What are your must haves for putting together your daily look?
I mostly wear wide legged slacks and cotton blouses, as I’m home a lot, but color is something I love playing with. The 1940s had such bold colors it’s fun to accessorize with bright bakelite and headscarves.
4. We all have our special vintage pieces, is there any item in your wardrobe that holds a special place in your heart?
There’s a dress that’s been in my family for about 30 years, I think of it as “the perfect dress”. It’s a 1950s frock, in salmon and white, and the shape and fit are so perfect I wish I had ten of them in different colors. It was been in the wardrobes of my aunt, sister-in-law, mother, and myself, and I’m sure will be passed on again and again.
5. How has your love for vintage created opportunities for you?
It inspired me to start me blog, Vixen Vintage, about four years ago, and that opens so many doors for making friends and meeting people in vintage culture. It’s a small world, and it’s nice to have connections around the globe!